Sunday, June 6, 2010

Present Future Tense

Take notice to the following forms!

STATEMENT
(I - You - She - He - It - We - They) will come tomorrow

NEGATIVE
(I - You - She - He - It - We - They) will not (won't) come tomorrow

SHORT ANSWER
Yes                                                           will
        ( I - You - She - He - It - We - They)
No,                                                            won't

CONTRACTION
I'll, You'll, She'll, He'll, It'll, We'll, They'll

     Will usually contracted with pronouns in both speech and informal writing.

Bob + will = "Bob'll"
The teacher will = "the teacher'll"

     Will is usually contracted with nouns in speech, but usually not in writing.

Notes:
  • Simple future tense used in a sentences to express future activity.

BE GOING TO VS. WILL

  1. She is going to succeed because she works hard
  2. She will succeed because she works hard
  3. I bought some wood because I am going to build a bookcase for my apartment.
  4. This chair is too heavy for you to carry alone. I'll help you.

Be going to and will are the same when they are used to make prediction about the future. (1) and (2) have the same meaning.

Be going to (but not will) is used to express a preconceived plan. In (3) : The speaker is planning to build a bookcase.

Will (but not be going to) is used to volunteer or express willingness. In (d) : The speaker is happy to help.

0 comments:

Post a Comment